A new high school basketball tournament will give local student-athletes and their supporters much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend. In addition to two days of exciting games, the first annual Hank Raymonds Holiday Classic, November 23 and 24 at Pius XI High School in Milwaukee, will provide area basketball boosters the opportunity to honor the tournament’s namesake by contributing to the Hank Raymonds Family Scholarship.
Funds raised by the eight-team tournament – featuring Boston Celtics head coach Glenn “Doc” Rivers and his Marquette University Warrior teammates as the presenting sponsors – will provide scholarships to students who otherwise would be unable to attend Pius XI. Scholarships are awarded to students based on financial need, their record of academic achievement, character and community service.
Raymonds was a longtime Wauwatosa resident and the fourth-winningest coach at Marquette, with 126 wins as the men’s head basketball coach from 1977 to 1983. Raymonds adeptly assisted Al McGuire during the team’s NCAA championship run in the 1970s. Raymonds also served as the university’s athletic director and was responsible for elevating the women’s sports programs to Division I in 1985.
- West Pom girls win Badgerette competition
- 21 Days to Kickstart Your Health
- Friday, August 19: I AM... I CAN... I WILL...
- Thurs, Sept 1 - Pinterest Night at Loft 24! First Thursday Of Each Month
- Sun - Aug 21: Vendor Event to Support Guardians of the Children - Charity Event open to the Public
- Liberty Dance Center Performing at WQYL Radio Summer Event
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) rapidly gaining new members
- Water Studies Focus on Waukesha
- Hartford UHS Team Wins Safety Room Challenge at Muskego High School
- INTERFAITH TEAMS UP WITH LA CASA FOR TRAVELING ART EXHIBITION BY OLDER ADULTS