Waukesha woman with violent past accused of beating

Published on: 7/7/2014

A 22-year-old Waukesha woman with a history of violent and threatening outbursts allegedly choked a woman until she passed out.

Ashley Ottow, 132 W. Broadway, was charged Wednesday, July 2, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with strangulation and suffocation, substantial battery, criminal damage to property and disorderly conduct. She has one prior vandalism conviction.

If convicted, Ottow could face up to almost 101/2 years in prison and $31,000 in fines.

According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha police officers responded to a call on the evening of April 12 regarding property damage.

Another resident of the apartment complex on Broadway reportedly witnessed Ottow screaming, kicking and damaging the font and back doors of the apartment he temporarily shared with her shortly before calling police.

Officers learned a few days later, on April 15, that the outburst was likely the result of an encounter Ottow had with the mother of her ex-boyfriend, the complaint states.

According to the complaint, Ottow believed the other woman was responsible for the breakup, so Ottow attacked her, slammed the woman's head into a wall, repeatedly punched her in the face then wrapped her hands around the victim's neck and squeezed until she lost consciousness.

Violent past

According to court records, this is not Ottow's first brush with the law.

In January, the court granted a restraining order to Ottow's former roommate. The petitioner for the injunction claimed that Ottow physically and verbally assaulted her on multiple occasions over about one month, and that she, the petitioner, had not been able to stay at the residence for 'more than a few days' because of threats from Ottow.

The petitioner also claimed that Ottow had destroyed several of her belongings.

Another complaint was filed against Ottow in April 2010, this time by a former boyfriend.

The man accused Ottow in the complaint of hammering his car with an aluminum bat, shattering both head lamps and denting the hood during a verbal argument.

Ottow pleaded guilty in that case and was sentenced to one week in jail and 12 months' probation.

Most recent charges

Court records indicate that Ottow was released Thursday, July 3, on a $5,000 signature bond. She was ordered by Court Commissioner Laura Lau to maintain absolute sobriety and avoid all contact with any victims or witnesses from the April 12 incident.

Ottow's next court hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, July 16.