A Waukesha police officer resigned last month after he became the subject of an internal investigation for allegations of sexting with his wife while on duty, department officials said Wednesday.
Chris Massa resigned from the department Feb. 25 and gave his reason as a desire to pursue different endeavors. However, at the time of his resignation, he was under investigation for department rule violations related to personal conduct and photo-video recordings, Chief Russell P. Jack said in a news release.
Massa was accused of sexting — sending sexually oriented text messages or photos from a cellphone — in private areas of the department while he was on the job.
"The evidence that initiated the investigation was brought to our attention and was located on his wife's phone," Jack said. "No other personnel or citizens were involved in our investigation."
Massa opted to resign before being interviewed about the matter, which resulted in the investigation being closed, he said.
The chief added that the department believes it could have substantiated the allegations against Massa and that the investigation would have resulted in discipline up to and including termination.
"I am thoroughly disappointed in Mr. Massa," Jack said. "His actions tarnish the badge we are all proud to wear."
- Unfavorable weather crimps attendance at Waukesha County Fair
- Judge: Prison for Waukesha man who led police on naked, drug-fueled pursuit
- Ex-Kmart site in Waukesha to grow with new freestanding retail building
- Plans for new Mad Rooster Cafe net final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- Power outage temporarily closes Waukesha County Courthouse, administrative buildings
- Assembly District 83 candidates agree on taxes, differ on opiate issue
- GOP vice presidential candidate Mike Pence to hold rally at Waukesha County Expo Center
- Waukesha man accused of spitting on, trying to bite police officers
- Waukesha panel OKs La Casa de Esperanza's charter school expansion
- Waukesha planning staff mulling another downtown apartment project