Earlier this month, a billboard on wheels was parked on Grandview Boulevard across the street from the GE Healthcare campus. So is it legal to just park a billboard anywhere?
A billboard like this could potentially violate either parking or sign ordinances; both types of ordinances are set by individual municipalities. This billboard was parked in the City of Waukesha, and so would fall under that city's ordinances.
According to Waukesha Police Department Sgt. Jerry Habanek, the sign is a vehicle and can be parked anywhere a vehicle can legally park. There are no "No Parking" signs posted on that stretch of Grandview, so it can be assumed that the billboard didn't break any parking rules.
The city's sign ordinance does prohibit "portable signs," so it would seem that this sign would violate that ordinance. However, according to City Planner Jennifer Andrews, the citygenerally considers something a portable sign only if it's parked or placed in one location for an extended period (at least a week).
Otherwise, it's not that much different from a truck with a business name on it, which is permitted to drive around and park wherever it legally can, while at the same time advertising that business.
What do you want to know? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Unfavorable weather crimps attendance at Waukesha County Fair
- Judge: Prison for Waukesha man who led police on naked, drug-fueled pursuit
- Ex-Kmart site in Waukesha to grow with new freestanding retail building
- Plans for new Mad Rooster Cafe net final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- Power outage temporarily closes Waukesha County Courthouse, administrative buildings
- Assembly District 83 candidates agree on taxes, differ on opiate issue
- GOP vice presidential candidate Mike Pence to hold rally at Waukesha County Expo Center
- Waukesha man accused of spitting on, trying to bite police officers
- Waukesha panel OKs La Casa de Esperanza's charter school expansion
- Waukesha planning staff mulling another downtown apartment project