Waukesha stabbing victim receives military Purple Heart

Parents of the 12-year-old Waukesha girl who was stabbed 19 times, allegedly by two of her friends, on May 31 in a wooded area in Waukesha, released this photo of her. In addition to thousands of homemade purple hearts, the victim recently received an actual military Purple Heart.
Published on: 7/29/2014

Homemade purple hearts continue to come in for the 12-year-old Waukesha girl who was nearly stabbed to death by two of her fellow classmates in May.

"Our family continues to be so moved by the prayers, well wishes, packages, financial support and purple hearts from around the world," her parents said on the victim's online fundraiser website.

"Our little girl has received thousands of purple hearts from numerous countries and from every state in the United States."

But one that recently arrived at the girl's house was extra special.

It was an actual military Purple Heart from an anonymous person, who wrote on a card: "The Only Heart I Could Find — Be Strong."

According to the family's website, the family contacted Wisconsin Secretary of Veterans Affairs John Scocos to inform him of the gift.

"Those who receive this military recognition do so because they have been wounded or killed in an action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces," Scocos said.

"It does not surprise me that a decorated veteran unselfishly gave this amazingly brave and courageous little girl something from his or her heart."

Through Tuesday, about $59,000 has been raised for the victim's legal and medical expenses through the Hearts for Healing fundraising website.

The victim has been recovering for the last two months since being stabbed 19 times, allegedly by two of her friends, in a wooded area near David's Park on May 31.

The two 12-year-old suspects, Morgan E. Geyser and Anissa E. Weier, who also attended Horning Middle School with the victim, will both appear in court on Friday, Aug. 1, at the Waukesha County Courthouse.

A competency hearing is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. for Geyser.

She has been deemed incompetent by two doctors who evaluated her, but the state requested a hearing where they will question the doctors.

At the last court hearing, a mental evaluation was ordered for Geyser.

But that has since been halted after Geyser's attorney, Anthony Cotton, filed a motion to stop the exam. 

Cotton said in the motion a mental evaluation is "untimely because the preliminary hearing has not been held."

"Therefore, it has not yet been established that Ms. Geyser is properly subject to the original jurisdiction of adult court," the motion read. "Second, because the focus of an NGI (Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity) evaluation is the defendant's functioning at the time of the alleged crime, the doctor will ask Ms. Geyser questions about the offense.

"This plainly violates Ms. Geyser's Fifth Amendment right to remain silent given that her answers will be turned over to the state."

Cotton wants to see his client transferred from the secure detention facility in West Bend to a treatment facility. Geyser and Weier have been staying at the Washington County Detention Facility since being charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide. 

Weier will also return to court for a status hearing on Friday morning.

Her attorney, Joseph Smith Jr., said Weier's competency could be addressed at a later date. On Friday, the court will hear Smith's motion to obtain Geyser's competency report, according to online court records. 

The records indicate that Cotton opposes that request. 

Geyser and Weier have been charged as adults and face up to 65 years in prison if found guilty of the charges.

Both Smith and Cotton say their top goal is to have the case moved to the juvenile court system.

Geyser and Weier told police that they plotted for months to kill their friend to prove themselves "worthy" of Slender Man, a fictitious Internet horror character that they said they learned about through the Creepypasta Wiki website. 

The suspects said their plan was to kill the victim and walk to the Nicolet National Forest in northern Wisconsin where they believed Slender Man lived in a mansion. 

Despite being stabbed in many of her major organs with one of the stab wounds missing a major artery near her heart by one millimeter, the victim managed to crawl out of the woods and was spotted by a passing bicyclist.