Waukesha man charged with raping toddler, videotaping act
Is being held on $500,000 cash bail
A 27-year-old Waukesha man is being held on a $500,000 cash bail after being accused of sexually assaulting a toddler and videotaping the act.
The man was charged Tuesday, Feb. 18, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with one count of first-degree child sex assault and 16 counts of possession of child pornography.
He was charged earlier this month with theft in an unrelated incident.
According to the criminal complaint, the man was being investigated by the New Berlin Police Department in connection with that theft.
To further that investigation, officers executed a search warrant on Dec. 18 at the man's residence and seized his cellphone, iPad and a laptop computer.
Officers discovered on the cellphone 14 images and nine videos of suspected child pornography, the complaint states.
Police examined the video files and learned that they were created on Dec. 10 and 17.
The man's girlfriend identified the child in the video as her 1-year-old son and said in the complaint that the child was in the man's care on the dates in question.
The complaint states that police observed that the man in the video had a tattoo similar to the man's and the video appeared to be recorded in his bedroom.
He could effectively face life in prison and $1.6 million in fines.
He is expected to appear at a preliminary hearing on March 6.
- Unfavorable weather crimps attendance at Waukesha County Fair
- Judge: Prison for Waukesha man who led police on naked, drug-fueled pursuit
- Ex-Kmart site in Waukesha to grow with new freestanding retail building
- Plans for new Mad Rooster Cafe net final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission (1)
- Power outage temporarily closes Waukesha County Courthouse, administrative buildings
- Assembly District 83 candidates agree on taxes, differ on opiate issue
- GOP vice presidential candidate Mike Pence to hold rally at Waukesha County Expo Center
- Waukesha man accused of spitting on, trying to bite police officers
- Waukesha panel OKs La Casa de Esperanza's charter school expansion
- Waukesha planning staff mulling another downtown apartment project