Mother charged as accomplice to daughter's retail theft in Waukesha

Published on: 12/24/2013

A 37-year-old Wales woman was charged last week with allegedly helping her daughter and her daughter's friend steal merchandise that was later sold for heroin.

Nicole LaFratta, 319 Porthamel Court, was charged on Friday, Dec. 13 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with felony bail jumping and retail theft. LaFratta was previously charged in September with narcotic drug possession and drug paraphernalia possession.

Kayley Fabisiak, LaFratta's daughter, and Jasmine Fred were both charged on Nov. 22 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with retail theft.

According to the criminal complaint, an officer with the Waukesha City Police Department was dispatched on Tuesday, Nov. 26 to the Target Store at 2401 Kossow Road in Waukesha to investigate a report of retail theft.

A Target security officer told police in the complaint that on Nov. 24 two women were dropped off outside the store by LaFratta and proceeded to the electronics section, where they grabbed four speakers valued at $800.

The women left the store without paying and then fled in LaFratta's vehicle, the security officer said in the complaint. He continued to say that they returned a few days later and allegedly stole three sets of headphones valued at $600, the complaint states.

The women were later identified by police as Kayley Fabisiak, 18, and Jasmine Fred, 22.

Fabisiak spoke to police on Nov. 27 and admitted to stealing the merchandise. She told police that LaFratta, her mother, was the operator of the getaway vehicle, the complaint states.

LaFratta told police on Dec. 11 that she did not know that her daughter and Fred were going to steal the merchandise the first time they visited. She admitted that on the second visit she knew the plan, saying that the merchandise was sold to purchase heroin.

LaFratta could face up to six years in prison and $20,000 in fines if convicted.

Her cash bail was set at $3,000 at an initial appearance on Dec. 13 and she was ordered to have no contact with her daughter or Fred.

She is expected to appear at a preliminary hearing on Jan. 2.