Waukesha - An employee at a Waukesha health care facility was charged July 7 for allegedly abusing an elderly patient who was suffering from dementia.
Frettie L. Powell, 52, of Milwaukee, was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court with a felony count of intentional abuse of a patient and is scheduled to make her initial appearance in court July 20.
According to the criminal complaint, Laura Gatewood, an employee of Waukesha Springs Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1810 Kensington Drive, informed police on June 13 that the previous day a woman, Gabreila Moersfelder, was cleaning out a room that belonged to her late friend and while doing so heard a woman screaming from the adjoining room.
Moersfelder told police she heard the 81-year-old woman scream, "no" and "stop," and when Moersfelder opened the door saw Powell allegedly strike the patient in the upper left leg area, call the woman names, and yelled at her that she had to "clean up her mess," the complaint said.
Moersfelder said he heard Powell allegedly say to the patient she was "bleeding like a goose," the complaint said.
Gatewood examined the patient and saw five red marks on the woman's left thigh that appeared to have come from fingernails, the complaint said.
Powell denied any wrongdoing, the complaint said.
- Unfavorable weather crimps attendance at Waukesha County Fair
- Judge: Prison for Waukesha man who led police on naked, drug-fueled pursuit
- Ex-Kmart site in Waukesha to grow with new freestanding retail building
- Plans for new Mad Rooster Cafe net final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- Power outage temporarily closes Waukesha County Courthouse, administrative buildings
- Assembly District 83 candidates agree on taxes, differ on opiate issue
- GOP vice presidential candidate Mike Pence to hold rally at Waukesha County Expo Center
- Waukesha man accused of spitting on, trying to bite police officers
- Waukesha panel OKs La Casa de Esperanza's charter school expansion
- Waukesha planning staff mulling another downtown apartment project