Have you ever heard of or used aromatherapy? Aromatherapy is a holistic approach to wellness that dates back thousands of years. Our ancestors recognized the effect of aromatic plants on the body, mind and spirit. Essential oils used in aromatherapy are aromatic liquids distilled or cold pressed from plants, shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes and seeds. These plant extracts have been used medicinally to kill bacteria, fungi and viruses. There are fragrances that balance mood, lift our spirits, even create romantic atmospheres.
Aromatherapy can soothe your body and mind by improving your health naturally. Essential oils can be used in a bath for body aches, in skin care for relieving stress, in a massage for sore muscles, or for a better nights sleep. They can also be used in a diffuser to sanitize the air to help prevent colds/flu, or to lessen depression and anxiety. Many essential oils can be blended together and used in creams or oils to apply to the body. Are you wondering if oils can help you? They can be used as an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral, antidepressant, antioxidant, or can stimulate, calm and relax.
Always be careful when choosing essential oils. Look for pure organic or natural therapeutic grade oils. (At Natural Balance Therapy, I use Young Living Essential Oils as my oil of choice.) Oils are very powerful and only a drop or two is needed in most applications. Please use caution and check with your health care professional before use.
Here is a list of some of the most common oils and just a few of their many uses:
- Lavender – great for relaxation, sleep, minor cuts & burns, insect bites, and sunburn
- Eucalyptus – colds/flu, concentration, disinfectant, insect repellent, sinus congestion
- Peppermint – colds/flu, coughs, flatulence, headaches, mental fatigue, muscle aches
- Patchouli – depression, fungal infections, acne, stress, insect repellant
- Marjoram – anxiety, bruises, exhaustion, headache, menstrual cramps, sprains, stress
- Tea tree – acne, athlete's foot, blisters, cuts, insect bites, warts
- Rosemary – acne, arthritis, colds/flu, fluid retention, gout, muscle pain, greasy hair
- Lemongrass - anti-inflammatory, digestive problems, ligaments/muscle aches, fluid retention
For more information, please visit www.naturalbalancetherapy.com